Pages

Monday, November 4, 2013

She can keep the cat scoop

Coastline near Broulee NSW 
As it is now getting really cold we have had to start using our central heating – but we have five gas fires which – we are led to believe – will be more cost effective than running the central heating.
We had not used them previously so last night I got the instruction book and tried to ignite the pilot lights – which I had turned off at the beginning of summer. I failed miserably.
Tim the repair man came within an hour of my call this morning – and astonishingly he was the same person who had last serviced the gas fires for the guy who was renovating the house.
He showed me how to get them going and suggested we leave the pilot lights on during summer as it is often difficult to get them going again. I could attest to this.
We have set them at 70° and they go on when it is below this temperature and go off when the temperature is reached. This will be disappointing for the cats who will not understand the concept – and will want a fire that burns non stop like they had in Vienna.
I find it almost impossible to believe but our Hostas appear to be dying. I thought they were almost indestructible but perhaps they were given too much water by our cat minder. I just can’t believe it was my fault.  I will leave them alone for a while and see what happens. But I can imagine…..
The cat minder has stolen my letterbox key and one of the cat scoops (?). I can live without the scoop but will contact the Cat Nanny to get my key back.


3 comments:

  1. Letterbox key? I don't think I have ever seen one of those, much less stole yours. I have my maail delivered to my old house so that Cooper is not disturbed, or more importantly, doesn't harm the mail person trying to shove mail through my door slot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How the hell do you get a letterbox key for a house? Is this an Indianapolis thing? I told you they were a bit odd. Hostas die off for winter and come back in the spring, it is a perennial. Don't worry you cannot kill them. Many have tried.

    ReplyDelete
  3. esb: We have a letterbox attached to to the wall next to our front door. It has a lock. If I had an old house I may use it.

    fmcgmccllc: Thanks for the good news about the Hostas - I feel much better.

    ReplyDelete