Pages

Thursday, November 11, 2010

I wish I had bought a Miele




William alerted me to this. 

At the G20 Conference in Korea the Koreans have made little dolls of the attendees. 

Our Julia is dressed as an Austrian and is wearing a Dirndl. She is however carrying the right flag. 

It is not a very flattering portrayal of Jools and she is certainly not built for a Dirndl. 

I just don’t know why the two countries are confused. They are nothing like each other and are nowhere near each other. I must say though that when we travel many people are mightily confused when we explain to them than we are Australians living in Austria.  We often have to explain it to them a number of times before they get the hang of it.

There has been a minor diplomatic kerfuffle here in the last few days.  The Turkish ambassador in Vienna has been branded an "arrogant nationalist" for claiming Austrians were only interested in other cultures when on holiday.

I think that is an exaggeration.  I don’t think the Austrians have the slightest interest in other cultures when they are on holidays. 

They have a perfectly good culture of their own and do not wish to have it messed up by all these foreigners.  I think we may have a new Turkish Ambassador soon. Perhaps he was tired and emotional after a long night in the Billabong.  

The dryer is well and truly kaput this time and needs new electronics. This will take a while. OH how I wish I had bought a Miele.

I have some sensational news about the  scaffolding at the Am Heumarkt entrance.  Stay tuned.  

6 comments:

  1. I don't know if it's true but I do remember reading about how Mozart composed the 1812 Overture after eating to many Widgety Grubs during his Walkabout. Eventually he sold it to a Russian tourist to pay for a new BBQ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Glen:
    1812! That proofs that Mark Twain was right when he said in 1791 that news of Mozart's death were premature!

    I want that Julia doll! Does she dance Landler when pushed? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S.: Oh well, that proves I need a spellchecker!

    ReplyDelete
  4. dolls of all the attendees?? brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's Monday night. Are you out hunting for that elusive Miele? ;-)

    ReplyDelete