Pages

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Here we go again

I am pleased to report that Cate finally has her driving license.
This – as usual – was harder than we expected it to be because of the many hoops we had to jump through to meet the bureaucratic requirements of the Bureau of Motor vehicles.
The BMV is harder to negotiate than Indiana Power and Light – a scarifying experience that I will not easily forget.
We learn as we go along. There are the written rules and the other rules which may depend upon the disposition of the person to whom you are talking – or even on the weather. It is hard to know.
But here everything is easier than in Austria because here I do not have to speak German - which is such a delight I can hardly contain myself – and start conversations with strangers in the supermarket just for the sheer delight of so doing.
Yesterday I had a long conversation in Marsh with a woman who was advising me which product was best for cleaning sinks and benches. She saw me staring intently at the shelves – and – picking me as in need of help – offered to assist.
I told her the type of stuff I used in Austria and she was able to point me in the right direction – indeed there was a fabulous collection – once you know what you are looking for.
Of course she asked me where I came from and the discussion turned to kangaroos. She had recently seen a show on TV and was able to tell me that most Australians have never seen a kangaroo in the wild.
I suppose that could be true – although you don’t have to go far out of a major city to see kangaroos – or wallabies. I did not attempt explain the difference between a kangaroo and a wallaby.
She was interested to know if we ate kangaroos. I assured her that we did – but that there were many still uneaten and they were not endangered. 

We are apparently expecting a colossal snow storm any minute. Indianapolis may be closed tomorrow.

7 comments:

  1. Well, I am going to need the full gear but it looks like Detroit will hum on as usual. So glad for Cate, it is a trial to get these things done. Tell me, does Kangaroo taste like chicken?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looked like we had an inch of snow which totaLLy took me by surprise. I left early to mop but decided to do other cleaning instead and I'll mop once the snow melts in a couple days. I need to get a broken embroidery machine to Amarillo as soon as the roads are clear. It is only a few months old and started making a horrible noise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. fmcgmccllc: Kangaroo tastes a bit gamey - a bit stronger than deer. It is very lean and quite good for you. I have only eaten it very rarely.

    esbboston: I don't like the sound of that. Have you been using it a lot?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I haven't been using it veRy much yet, and it is the newer of the two machines that I mainly use for R&D in my office. I remember that I have not tried turning it off/on yet to see if that may fix it. It so cold here that I reaLLy don't want to leave the house but I have at least one embroidery order (simple) to get finished today. More people are starting to bring me pieces of cloth to embroidery names and monograms that get incorporated into blankets and pillows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like it will be cold for biggles. I hope you have the fires burning

    ReplyDelete
  6. Postcard from Weisses Rössl for you!
    Balmy weather, sunshiny day in St. Wolfgang today.
    Hope your power's still on, stay warm,
    M.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lenny: We have both furnaces blasting away.

    Merisi: We are only venturing out when absolutely necessary.

    ReplyDelete