Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Eureka in Manila

After a desperate struggle with my German speaking computer I have finally managed to get my wireless connection working again. As with so many of my ideas that lose their wheels – buying a PC with a German operating system seemed like a good idea at the time. It was a bad idea that gets progressively worse.

However, I am back on the air, albeit at the scrag end of the trip.

I have (of course) much to tell you and will commence this task with some zeal shortly.

We have just checked in to the Shangri La hotel in Manila and Cate has gone off to do whatever it is that she does in these places.

It is a joy to travel with her when she is on business as she gets collected by chauffeurs in limousines and is given her own private check-in on the Executive Floor. Sometimes the hotel rings her when we are on our way in from the airport to see how she is and ask her if she needs anything special (perhaps an Orchid for Ben?)

She also gets free access to all the facilities including the special Clubs where they have free food and drinks from 5.30 to 8.30!

We have not done this yet as she has to work every day and needs to keep her wits about her. I am on a period of abstinence from alcohol after a punishing workout in Australia – where in fact we mainly drank New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc – which I have to say is better than most Gruner Veltliners.

Yesterday we were in Bangkok and near the hotel there were lots of bars with really friendly girls (some of them were more mature). They all wanted me to talk to them and buy them a drink but as I am on a very strict allowance I couldn't afford it.

I will ask Cate if I can have some housekeeping money so that I can talk to some girls here. I don't think she will be too keen.

3 comments:

  1. Is the free food and drink any good?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear you're back online. I can hardly wait for an update from Wien, when you've finished jetsetting.

    In Sydney we're expecting 23 degrees today and, at 7.55 am it's already 18! Forecast for Brisbane is only 24. And this is winter...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes the food and drink is very good indeed.

    Annie - do you know about the Rapture? This is the start of it. Keep the Gin handy.

    ReplyDelete