Pages

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

56 miles in a day?

Just add sand

Today I received my handy dandy cat sprayers. These are motion detectors on cans that spray a jet of air at anything that approaches them.

So I placed them carefully and removed the great wall of boxes. So far so good – Sissi went into the dining room – activated a sprayer -  and ran like the clappers as though the hounds of hell were after her.

I am mildly encouraged by this turn of events but do not really believe that this will solve all the problems. We shall see.

In the meantime Cate has decided to walk across the Jordan desert next March. It is actually a race but Cate will be walking – along with many other competitors.

The event begins in Wadi Rum and finishes 5 days later in Petra. There is one stage of 56 miles. Yes 56 miles.

To prepare for this event she is walking every day. I have bought a treadmill so that she can walk when it is raining or snowing. The treadmill has a gizmo so that she actually use Google maps to walk anywhere she wants to in the world.

Of course I would love to do this – who wouldn’t want to walk across the desert for five days – but arthritis in my left foot sadly precludes me from such strenuous activities.


I am looking at hotels in Petra where I can wait for her with my feet in the pool and a glass of Chablis in my hand.

8 comments:

  1. I guess March would be a good month to cross the desert. What is the total distance? I have faith in the compressed air motion detected device. Until it runs out of air. Maybe Sissi wiLL figure that out with purr-sissi-tence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Petra (#1 on my bucket list). What a thoughtful husband you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did I get this aright? 56 miles(!!!) in a day? That is enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd take your option any day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, going to that part of the world is not real popular right now, and might be denigrating as we speak. But great for her on a goal. Denigrating is not the word I chose it is the word supplied by lack of spelling.

    Whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. esb: Total is 153 miles. Ha - I have many refills!

    Sandy: I do my best.

    Merricks: Is enthusiasm, the right word?

    Head in the sun: Indeed! Even Holy Toledo!

    Annie: Someone has to keep a clear head.

    fmcgmccllc: Jordan is very safe. No ISIS or Al Qaeda or other baddies.

    ReplyDelete