Pages

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Hasta la vista

After the Chena Hovel we drove to Talkeetna.  There is not much there except a few hotels - but it is the gateway to Denali National Park – which is not open in winter.

So we went there to get a flight over Denali and Mount McKinley in a small plane. This would have been a fantastic thing to see – but it started raining and on the morning of the flight I rang the company and they said they could not fly because it was going to get worse.

I was not unhappy about this as for me the minimum number of engines for any plane is two.

I had a gigantic flapjack for breakfast – but it was not called a  flapjack - and I had Birch syrup instead of Maple syrup. The woman sitting next to us had a gigantic flapjack topped with about 6 pounds of scrambled eggs – which was not as scary as the other woman who had the biggest serving of biscuits and gravy I have ever seen.

I guess you need your strength living in the wilds of Alaska.

Then we went to Anchorage and we did pass through Wasilla which is where Sarah Palin lives – although she also has a house in Arizona. My favorite Sara Palin quote is:

"As Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where – where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right over the border."

Having seen Wasilla I understand why you would buy a house in Arizona.

In Anchorage we visited the Zoo and saw Polar bears. They were having a fine time in the snow. Most of the animals were smart enough to stay in their houses to keep warm.

I think we have done as much cold weather trips as we need to. We are looking at Mexico for next year. I am starting to learn Spanish.


Hasta la vista.

1 comment:

  1. I went to inland Mexico on a trip around Christmas about 1979, and it was cold enough for me. I must make a fresh batch of spaghetti so I must brave the cold for a few minutes to go get meat. My wind chill is 2F.

    ReplyDelete