Pages

Sunday, April 18, 2010

It's all over!


The time comes when you recognise that it is all over. That you have been living a lie. Being untrue to yourself and the ones you love. You have clung to it because you have been afraid to let go. Like a frightened child clings to its mother’s apron. Afraid of what might be unknown and unseen.

It is a big world out there and – for all its many faults – it has kept you safe for many years. But - you have been hurt so many times you can never forget the pain. You know it is time. The wrench will be great but in the end everyone will be better off and can move on to their new lives.

So it’s time for Windows to go. It’s Apple Time!

I buy a new PC about every three years and my last 6 PCs have come from Dell. I have never had a single hardware problem with any home PC that I have ever bought from Dell. The software of course is another matter entirely and Windows in particular has been the cause of much wailing and howling and gnashing of teeth.

My first PC was run (if that is the right word) by something called CP/M Plus – and it had – I think – 256K of Ram. When you asked the PC to so anything at all you could safely leave it for half an hour and have a nice cup of tea – and when you got back it would be clacking away unconcerned by the world passing it by.

My next PC had DOS which was functional – and a whopping 4 Mb of hard disk space. This was the last PC for which you really had to know some code and I go quite good at messing about inside the Registry (was it called that?).

Then we got the first Windows programs and became familiar with the Blue Screen of Death. There was some wonderful Windows Haiku written about the BSoD. Here is a small sample.

Windows NT crashed.
I am the Blue Screen of Death.
No one hears your screams. ( Peter Rothman)

First snow, then silence.
This thousand dollar screen
dies so beautifully. (Simon Firth)

A crash reduces
your expensive computer
to a simple stone. ( James Lopez)

I remember waiting eagerly for Windows 95. In fact I was so anxious that I pre-ordered and paid for it. This ensured that I was one of the few people in Australia who paid full price -because it was discounted from day one. Lesson learned.

As with all versions of Windows – it fixed old bugs and invented new ones and I have been dealing with these for more than 15 years. The current version of Windows is the best yet – but I think it is time to move on.

I have cut my teeth on the iPod and the iPhone and am ready for the big time. This is not a decision I have taken lightly (not the least reason of which is that I have 3 PCs running Windows) so last night I prayed to the Flying Spaghetti Monster

The FSM said ‘Are you kidding me – you have been using Windows for 25 years – you should be bronzed and put in a glass case on rosewood plinths in the front foyer at Microsoft headquarters'.

Good enough for me. I am now shopping for the biggest fastest iMac I can find. I will keep you posted.

7 comments:

  1. Yay! Now we'll get to read all your tales about having to deal with the Apple people in the stores. And in Vienna, too! That'll be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been using Macs for 26 years. A few days ago, I purchased my 5th machine: a 21.5 inch iMac with 8 GB of memory and a disk of 1 TB. The machine I've been using for the last 5 years was also an iMac, and it runs perfectly, but I needed a new iMac with an Intel processor in order to be able to develop iPhone and iPad applications. Please don't hesitate to call upon me for assistance if you run into problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mac advice. You'll be saying goodbye to the world of buggy software and all the nasty things that have always characterized the Windows world. But you'll still need to adopt a sound backup strategy. The ideal solution is a Time Capsule device, which solves the problem of losing files through your personal mistakes. Later on, you'll need a second external disk with a software tool such as Carbon Copy Cloner (capable of saving a bootable system) to take care of major crashes. If you don't have it already, you should invest in an uninterruptible power supply.

    ReplyDelete
  4. macpro dual 2.93ghz quad core. you wont be disappointed. get 2 graphics cards for multiple monitors. it's a whole new world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck! :-)

    I am nothing but happy about my MacBookPro (except when I have to shlep that heavy brick around). I feel kinda lonely though, no one in class uses a Mac and there are situations when they look at me as if I had chosen to play with little Green Mars Men. I fly on the seat of my pants at times (luckily, no ash clouds encountered so far!).

    @ STEPH,
    I have been treated with nothing but the utmost kindness at my store and - a real plus - have not pushed any Apple products on me, like that anemic mouse that makes my right hand scream with pain at the sheer sight of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I'm just glad you weren't writing to say goodbye!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the kind words. And William - you can count on me contacting you with my problems!

    ReplyDelete